Wednesday 6 May 2009

For those of an 80's era, look away now..

I have some dreadful news to break to those who have not heard the biggest story to break in the last couple of weeks, something that puts swine flu, the budget and Madonna's baby-stealing in the shade.

As you will all be aware, Top Gun was one of the biggest films ever to grace our screens in the 80's, mainly because its one of the rare few times where you can say that Tom Cruise could actually act, but also because of one woman, Kelly McGillis. She, with her swishy hair, lingering looks and all-in-one denim outfit, stole many a weak bloke's heart (and probably quite a few strong blokes too), however those men will have been quivering with fear at where their life went wrong when she announced to the media the other day, that she bats for the other team, and probably always has!

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Kelly, what have you done to us!?

Now, every man has to do some serious soul-searching to get over this. Maybe we should start a facebook group, or have regional meetings to talk through this epic news. Could it be that Tom Cruise tried it on with her, and she was so against joining his little band of alien-loving hippies that she turned altogether!? We shall never know, all we can do is stay strong for each other, and always remember that we probably preferred Jessica Rabbit more!

There is a hope, however. As those special few who know me so well will testify (possibly to a court of law one day), I have a love for the 80's that knows no boundaries, and I shall not let this grave news deter me from my chosen path, to celebrate the 80's forever and a day, starting with this saturday. It is my cousins birthday, and she is having an 80's theme party with a whole bunch of people, including yours truly. My outfit is ready, and thanks to those lovely people at asos.com, I have found probably the most legendary 80's t-shirt I have ever seen. So I shall leave for a weekend of fun and frivolity, and reclaim the 80's as best I can, hoping beyond hope that others will follow my lead by making the rest of this year as 80's as we can.

As Barack Obama once said to me, when I asked him if I could help him reclaim the 80's spirit, 'Yes we can'!

In other news, the powers-that-be at london midland have decided to install electronic barriers at several stations including snow hill, where I get the train. All is going well for those of a technological nature, or even a logical nature judging by some, however last Thursday was the first day when they came into operation, as I was quite proud that, not only did the barrier work for me, but I didn't need any help from the helpful staff at the barrier.

However, that didn't stop a rather rotund woman behind me, who was late for her train, and didn't think that it would matter that the barriers (which are solid steel with a solid plastic coating) were really for her, quickly flashed her ticket at the poor chap who was busy watching me go through the barrier and who only had a nano-second in which to say 'wait a minute, you have to use the barrier. Just put your ticket in the slot and the barrier will open', which came out as 'Wai....' as he was cut off by the sound of the foulest language I've ever heard shouted by someone who is really old enough to know better. I turned around quickly, as did everyone else, including two startled policemen, to see this woman wedged inbetween the barriers, as she had stupidly thought she could squeeze through after I'd got through. The barriers had closed on her rather large stomach and as she was straddling either side of the half-closed barrier, couldn't move either way!

I really hope she didn't make her train, just for the comic punchline!

TTFN!

No comments: