Wednesday 7 January 2009

'You've gotta fight....for your right.....'

I think my teeth may be falling out.

Well when I say teeth I mean only one of them, but its making the rest of my teeth hurt as well, which is rather annoying. I actually think it has something to do with me leaving work, like my tooth doesn't want to leave, so it has a paddy! I'm sure it has more to do with the fact that I've eaten far too many bad things over christmas and new year, and continue to do so (we still have mince pies and christmas cake to eat, oh well!), and the weather hasn't helped with a nice icy blast as I leave the nice cosy office building into the arctic winter outside!

Speaking of which, as you will all know, Britain has been at the heart of an icy spell of weather these past few days, and as such, the roads and pavements have been lovely and icy, which has been about as fun as hitting your head against a spiky pole, especially when you consider that most people's work shoes don't have any grip on them whatsoever, but never fear because the council always puts out the grit to melt the snow away....or have they?

Well surprisingly they haven't. Despite the fact that everyone in the country knew that we would be experiencing high levels of snow and ice this week, it appears that the council did not know, or indeed care about laying some grit out so the members of the public that might want to get to work don't fall on their faces every time they put a foot wrong, leading to scenes not unlike leading an army unit through a minefield at times!

This annoyed me more than ever. I just can't stand unfairness or things just being done badly wrong, especially when its so glaringly obvious to everyone else, so I sent the council an email. Now, the Christmas before last, we had a problem with the bin collections at home, in that the whole neighbourhood had not had their bins emptied in the last collection before Christmas, leaving alot of sad looking Daleks sitting on the side of the road. So, deciding that the fat cats needed a kick up the ass, I sent the council a strongly worded email, reminding them of their statutory duty to the taxpayers, and quoting their own policies at them. I copied in about 20 local MP's and councillors who were effected, and the impact was so great that the Chief Councillor at Bromsgrove had to interrupt his Christmas break to email me back, as there was alot of flak coming from alot of angry MP's who saw the opportunity to stick their oar into the debate. Long story short, the bins were collected the next day, with a written apology from the council. So this time around its the turn of Birmingham City Council. A similarly strong-worded email has been sent, with the added pressure of having copied in 2 local newspapers, and so we shall see if anything gets done.

The email was sent yesterday, and this morning there were about 3 lumps of grit in Victoria Square, so if nothing else, I earned those lumps!

Positive news now, and the Pacman game on the right hand side of the page is a little bit brilliant. I have decided to put a game there every month for your delectation, and as you can see, I am fairly into it now, so let battle commence!

No comments: